Monday, March 1, 2010

OH MY.....apple pie...crust

I almost took a picture of my apple pie I made last night, but it was to embarrasing.  For the first time in my life, I tried to make my grandma's pie crust recipe.  I always use premade pillsbury pie crusts.  But I really want to master the art of making pie crusts...

I learned something about myself last night, when I am frustrated I want to throw things and curse.
Yep..grandma's recipe seemed easy enough.
1 1/2 C flour
1/2 t salt
2/3 C shortening
4 T cold water

I mixed the flour and salt, then, put in shortening, mixed, added cold water a little at a time.... tried to roll out this homemade playdoughy mess, stuck to counter, tossed first batch, looked online for easier recipe, found recipe with oil, made one crust with that, not much better, made other crust with grandma's recipe, only this time put shortening in freezer, and added ice to water before using.
STILL, crumbly, sticky, dry mess, broke apart, did not roll, when it did roll , stuck to parchment paper and counter.
Had worlds thickest crusted apple pie ever, dry as the desert.  Was it the whole wheat pastry flour?  Maybe you have to use white flour.

After a day of making Lollibags, I wanted to have a nice pie for my family that night, but it was not nice, still is not nice today, will probably let the dogs have a slice.
So if anyone knows what the secret is to a beautiful, flaky, buttery, just like grandma's pie crust, please do tell!

Here's my bags:







1 comment:

  1. Shortening can be tricky. And I have no idea about the flour. Oh, but those bags. I salivate over each and every one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them and read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...