Monday, March 29, 2010

Just some ramblings

I am re-reading a book I had read a long time ago, it is called Gap Creek by Robert Morgan.


Pretty good for a male author, since he is writing from a girls perspective.  It is set in the last years of the nineteenth century.  I love how Julie (main character) makes cornbread every day and grits or oatmeal every morning.  I love to read how she comes up with meals when they have nothing.  Why am I so into food?  I don't know. 

But I was reading it at the dentist office today (again, each child has to go!)
and in the story they had just had a flood and barely made it out alive.  Julie's  husband was a bit suicidal from having no money and loosing it all in the flood. 

 She said to him, "You think you're so important the Lord would make a special flood just for you?"  "This flood is happening to everybody."

"There ain't nothing special about your troubles."


I love that!  We can all learn something from that, when we get caught up whining about our lives or our trials.  HEY, I'm not pointing fingers, I am THE WORST!! 
I can whine like there is no tomorrow! Feel sorry for myself too, I do that really well!

I love that phrase and I will say it to myself when I start sending out invitations to my pity party.....

There ain't nothing special about MY troubles.


Moving on, who loves Good Earth Tea???


My mom always had a pitcher of Good Earth Iced Tea in the fridge, and now so do I.  In the same pitcher my mom used to keep it in.

On every tea bag there is a little quote, here are a couple of my favorites.


Why should I buy expensive art when I can make my own.
Piero Milani
(1964- )

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole
(1717-1797)


Have you ever been to the Good Earth Restaurant?  My mom used to take my sister and I there when we were older, she would always order the cashew chicken salad sandwich, with of course Good Earth Iced Tea.  After she died, when I still lived in MN, my sister and I used to eat lunch there, ordering the same thing.  The closest one was an hour away, by good shopping, so we would make a day of it.  The shopping center is called The Galleria.  Oh I miss doing that!  I would give anything to be eating that sandwich with my sister right now, sipping a glass of tea.

Whose been to the Good Earth?

2 comments:

  1. I used to work near there in Southdale. My mom would take all four of us girls to the Good Earth and the Ediner. Do you remember the Ediner? They had great malts and they too had a great Cashew chicken salad with grapes and mandarine oranges. Did you ever go to Antiquity Rose in Excelsior? They serve soups, salads and sandwiches, Russian Tea and Arnold Palmers. That was a favorite and special lunch out with my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow you guys really got around! I have never heard of the Ediner, but it sounds great. Never been to Antiquity Rose either. Good to hear from you Lisa, I hope Maranda likes her bag!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them and read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...