Friday, April 29, 2011

Food Friday~Rainbow Ribbon


When I was little I used to look at my mom's cookbooks and there would always be a Jello one.  I would beg my mom to make a Jello dessert.  They all looked so fun and I thought if only I could eat those creamy lemon cups right out of the lemon or drink that Jello shake, I would be so happy!

The pictures were so MAGICAL!

Well I think I understand now why my mom rarely if ever made Jello desserts, at least the complicated ones.  I made this recipe last fall or maybe it was before Christmas.  It was difficult only because I had never made it before and I didn't know exactly how long to let it set or firm in the fridge before each additional layer, you know it never is as simple as the recipe says.
That being said, it was super fun to look at and super fun to eat.  Just as I imagined as a kid.
And I hope my kids thought it was magical too.

Rainbow Ribbon

5 pkg (4 serving size) Jello gelatin dessert, any 5 different flavors
6 1/4 C boiling water
1 C sour cream, plain yogurt, or vanilla ice cream (I used yogurt)

Dissolve 1 pkg Jello in 1 1/4 C of the boiling water.
Pour 3/4 C of the Jello into 8 C ring mold.  Chill until set but not firm.
Another side note, my mold was to wide, I needed to use a taller thinner mold to achieve the tall mold, but as you can see mine is quite shallow.

Chill remaining Jello in bowl until slightly thickened; gradually blend in 3 T of yogurt.  Spoon over gelatin in mold.  Chill until set but not firm, about 20-25 min.

Repeat with remaining Jello flavors.
Chill until firm, about 4 hours or overnight.

To unmold, dip mold in warm water for about 10 seconds.  Gently pull gelatin from around edges with moist finger.  Place moistened serving plate on top of mold.  Invert mold and plate;  holding mold and plate together, shake slightly to loosen.  Gently remove mold and center gelatin on plate.

Ahhh if only it were that easy!!







It was very good!  As you can see mine was not as tall and perfect as the cover photo!
Well I'm not a professional.
I am going to try more recipes from here........... someday, maybe.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them and read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...