Friday, October 15, 2010

Food Friday~Skillet Cornbread with Maple Butter

This recipe is from the cookbook:
Cooking The Cowboy Way
by
Grady Spears

I LOVE this cookbook.
For some reason I love "cowboy" food.
I love the IDEA of cooking over an open fire in a prarie dress.
A huge meal of meat and some beans and biscuits.
(Those of you  who really know me and rolling around in laughter right now, I know...)

Corn Bread

1C yellow cornmeal
1 C flour
1/4 C sugar
1 T baking powder
1/4 t salt
1 C buttermilk
1 large egg
5 T unsalted butter, melted, cooled slightly


Maple Butter

3/4 C unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 1/2 T pure maple syrup

To make the corn bread, preheat the oven to 400.  Butter a cast iron skillet.  Sift the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl.  Whisk the buttermilk and egg in another medium bowl, and then whisk in the melted butter.  Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ing.  stir just until incorporated (do not overmix).   Pour the batter into the prepared skillet and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Serve with the maple butter.

To make the maple butter, beat the butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until creamy.  Gradually beat in the maple syrup until well blended and smooth.  Cover and refrigerate until set, 30-45 minutes.  This can be made up to 1 week ahead and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Sorry no photos yet gals, I need hubby to install my picture resizer on this computer... Trust me this recipe is yummy!!


1 comment:

  1. Yes! Yes! Yes! I want to live on the prairie, wear long skirts and cook over an open fire.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them and read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...