Friday, October 8, 2010

Food Friday~Cabbage Patch Veggie Medley

This salad is from the cookbook
Eating For Excellence
by
Sheri Rose Shepherd.

I made this once about 10 years ago and it has stuck in my brain since.
I keep thinking I gotta make that again!  I think black beans would be good in this too, and then eat it with tortilla chips!


3 C coarsely grated green cabbage
1 C coarsely grated red cabbage
5 ears fresh uncooked corn, cut from the cob
1/2 C chopped red bell pepper
1/2 C sugar snap peas
1/3 C chopped red onion
1/2 C grated carrots
1/4 C roasted pepitas
1/2 C low fat mayo
1/4 C rice wine vinegar
1 t dill weed
1 1/2 t Liquid Smoke
1/4 C raw honey
1 t cumin powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 t poppy seeds
2 T chopped cilantro
1/2 t cayenne pepper
1 t sea salt
2 T spicy mustard (optional)
1 C plain nonfat yogurt

Combine cabbage, corn, pepper, sugar snap peas, onions, carrots, and pepitas in a very large mixing bowl and set aside.
In another bowl, combine mayo, vinegar, dill, liquid smoke, honey, cumin, garlic, poppy seeds, cilantro, cayenne pepper, sea salt, mustard, and yogurt.  Mix well, then pour over cabbage mixture.
Blend thoroughly and serve. 
This salad keeps quite well- if there is any left!



So I just made this and my corn didn't look good, so I didn't add it in.  I didn't have cilantro, and dill weed.
I could not get sugar snap peas or pepitas, because I don't know if Sophie can have those.  She is allergic to split peas.  And I know pepitas are a seed, but you know you just lump nuts and seeds together.   Peanuts are really a legume, hence the reason she is also allergic to the split peas, but are sugar snap peas the same??  Don't know.
You see my dilema.

Even without all that, it is good and the dressing is what makes it!  I love this dressing!
The only problem I have with this salad is .....almost immediately it started to get watery.
And that is a huge stomache churner for me, looking at a watery, creamy dressed salad.  yuck!
So I threw the whole salad into my wire mesh strainer and let it drain.  gross I know, but it still tasted good!

So does anyone know how to prevent that watery mess?

I'm not going to post my picture of it cuz I didn't have all the ingredients.. I want you guys to try this and come back and tell me what you think!


1 comment:

  1. This sounds really good. I'll let you know how is turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them and read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...