Monday, March 26, 2012

My thrift store finds

Friday was the first day of spring break and my son Nic's first day of freedom, he graduated early!  My son's, Josh and Nic,  have just purchased a cute little 1950's home and are about to leave the nest. Probably more on that later, I may need some therapy having 2 children leave at once...... So today I took Nic shopping for the new house.  We went to 2 Goodwill's, Salvation Army, a thrift store called... Thrift Store and good ole Walmart. 
It was so fun finding bargains for the boys, dinner plates from the 1970's that were 50% off, so .49 each!  We found small plates to match, bowls, silverware, Fire King casseroles.  Nic even found some plaques with the 10 commandments on them, he said it would be good to have those posted.  I agree.

I found a few things too.  First I found these nesting bowls, they are not vintage, but I love the bright colors!





I also found a vintage Tupperware Cake Taker!  And it's in great shape.  I have always wanted one, but I don't know where I'll store it or when I'll use it.  I asked Nic... Nic, do I really  need this?  I mean when am I going to take a cake somewhere??  He said.... You'll bring a cake to my house!  SOLD!





Do you have any cast iron frying pans?  I have always wanted some genuine cast iron frying pans... Well I hit the jackpot!  I found this box, see the vintage sticker?



La Belle's distributing?  See it?  Yep that's vintage alright, AND the set of 3 cast iron frying pans are BRAND NEW vintage, never used, still have the inside sticker inside the frying pan!




Do you love that?  I was instantly sold.




Sometimes I wish I wasn't so AFFECTED by vintage items.  I'm still not sure what it is about something like this that draws me in.

Oh and I wish I weren't so DRAWN to vintage cookbooks either!  Here are the two I brought home with me.  They are from the 1960's.





There was another vintage cookbook I was looking at, that was all salads.  A lot of the recipes were jello salads.  Some of them were so disgusting sounding it was downright horrid thinking of eating them.  Molds, they called them, a jello mold with tuna fish.  EWWW  I should have bought it just so I could have read the recipes in awe that someone used to make those!  Heck, maybe people still do somewhere!  Next time I go to that Goodwill I will see if it's still there. 

There was a picture of a "mold" of lime jello with lettuce in it!!!!  Geez, now I wish I would have gotten that darn book!  It's astonishing isn't it??

2 comments:

  1. What great finds!! How awesome are the cast irons! I am sure you will use the cake taker sometimes, if not what a great display piece in your kitchen! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you got some FABULOUS stuff! Vintage stuff is the best...seriously..it was made with quality. And hey you can bring over one of your cheesecakes in the cake carrier. And I love those bowls, super cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love them and read every one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...